Thursday, February 21, 2013

Worthy of Worship

(Thoughts from my morning meditation in Deuteronomy 11)



"Because isn't my internal circuitry wired to seek out something worthy of worship? Every moment I live, I live bowed to something. And if I don't see God, I'll bow down  before something else."  *

He has set eternity in the hearts of men.
Ecclesiastes 3:11
***

                                   
vs :13  If you faithfully obey the commands I am giving you today.
         In context, God is speaking to the nation of Israel and referring to the Law of Moses.
But the revelation hit me with hallowed heaviness--God still gives commands. TODAY!  In the 21st century!  This February of 2013!
Will I chose to hear, and listen? Better yet, will I obey?  WILL I?

vs: 16  Be careful, or you will be enticed to turn away and worship other gods and bow down to them.
     I see an alarming progression of events here. The fact is, if I am not actively listening, and obeying any commands given me today, then I am by default disobeying.  Do you see the equation?
Not careful>enticed>turn away from God>worship other gods=BOW down to those gods.
The knees of my spirit have collapsed under me with the impact of what I am capable of doing. The choice I make, by virtue of non-obedience, could be a willful submissive slam of prostration to the feet of Satan himself.
Oh God have mercy. Oh God, let it not be so. Let me not BOW to the sinful nature and the choices that would subjugate me. Let me hear and obey ONLY You.


Lord, you are the same yesterday, today and forever. You still speak to your people. Let the words of my mouth, the meditations of my heart, the submission of my will and obedience of my spirit be pleasing in thy sight and profitable for your glory.
Selah

                                                                       


*AnnVoskamp, One thousand gifts.