Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thankful


I saw it out of the corner of my eye as I walked past.

The tiny package of holiday paper plates with their bright orange rim and proud colorful turkey captured my attention as it was slowly propelled along the conveyor belt. Trailed only by a few other sparse items, it made its journey towards the waiting bagger.

I never saw the person behind the products;

Recently abandoned?

Newly bereaved?

Relocated and alone?

Aged and forgotten?

Young and neglected?

Deeply depressed, swallowed in darkness?

Why only 6 small paper plates?

Party of one or table for four?

One thing was for sure, whoever they were--I never looked up to notice, they weren't celebrating on the same scale I was.

Oh, I suppose the scenario could be different than what I imagined;  the holiday table hosting a pair of ecstatically happy and newly married soul mates, or two peacefully settled empty nester's, or the recently re-employed father of 10, or a family of first time home owners all gathered to celebrate an evening of thanksgiving and blessing.

But my bent tends to lean towards the negative.

Which always makes me grateful for the positive.

It's just how God and I wrangle and roll.

And so, I refuse to grumble about-
the mess, and expense, and time and chaos and work,
And instead choose to be grateful for-
the large and healthy family that is worth the sacrifice and inconvenience.
And the reminder to pray--
for the less fortunate.


The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Psalm 16:6


I have a goodly inheritance, LORD. 
It is your generous gift  to me. 
I am blessed, and kneel before you with thanksgiving.



No comments: