Sunday, December 30, 2012

Lucky on the Long Yellow

It's habit. My hand grips the door panel and my foot unconsciously pushes into the floorboard every time someone goes for the gold.  I'm not sure what the two extra minutes of wait time are going to hurt, but heck, gotta get there, right? Where ever "there" is.  On this most recent occasion, we were lucky, the yellow lingered longer than usual.

One of my sons has long accused me of perpetually finding a spiritual application for every life event. Well, here's another such event--

The intersection of life, the cross road conundrum of the opus;  "Should I stay or should I go?".

The way I see it, there are two choices:
#1- Blow through now and pay later.   OK.  But do I really want an incorporeal summons from above in the form of consequence for a careless choice?  Plowing ahead in the fast lane of sin can put me dead center in the path of destruction. And it can involve innocent parties in the process.
#2--Obey the law and slow down. God grants warning signs that flash CAUTION at the intersections of life. Slowing down seems the logical and safe alternative.
Refraining from impulsiveness takes practice, the yellow light can be a time of tutoring.  I need lots of tutoring, unfortunately.
Sometimes critical moments require creative measures and patience, so when at an intersectional impasse, slowing down and praying might just result in the green light your waiting for.

Mid all the traffic of the way
Turmoil without, within
Make of my heart a quiet place
And come and dwell therein.
                    --unknown

Be still, and know that I am God.
                                                                 Psalm 47:10



Should I go or Should I Stay.   The Clash.